

Minutes - NPC Exec Meeting – Wednesday November 9th, 2023

Purpose of the Meeting: Monthly Exec meeting

The meeting was called to Order: Wednesday at 7:01 PM.

Present: Deb M, Lyle E, Harvey H, John E, Monte N

Regrets: Wayne O, Ruth D, Gary R, Caron U

1) Deb M called the meeting to order, and we confirmed that we had a quorum, so the meeting proceeded.

- Deb M welcomed the NPC exec in attendance and thanked them for attending
- Deb M asked for any new items to be added to New Business

2) MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING:

Moved by Lyle and seconded by Deb that the minutes of the Oct 11th, 2023, meeting be adopted as circulated. Motion Passed.

3) CORRESPONDENCE: Monte N

Deb has been answering emails from the general public and members while Monte has been on vacation.

Majority of correspondence for the month of October was inquiries from new membership and questions about orientation to the game of pickleball. All were answered accordingly and given appropriate direction on their journey.

4) TREASURER'S REPORT: Lyle E

Results for the 27 Days ending October 31, 2023

Revenue of \$3,680.73 included \$3,397.00 for play sessions and membership fees of \$255.50 and bank interest of \$28.23.

There were no expenses recorded in the month.

The Net Profit for the 27-day period was \$3,680.73

- Cash in the bank is \$28,629.73 and cash in Stripe was \$1,056.75 for total cash of \$29,686.48.
- Member contributions of \$24,949.00 were carried in from the old Club.

-MEMBERSHIP

Total Members in good standing at the end of October were 324. Of the 4 members currently restricted, 2 are due to not having a current membership with PCO and 2 are due to having no pickleball experience. See the breakdown for memberships below:

Membership:

Members in Good Standing 306

Members Restricted - not current PCO/PBBC Members
or Need Introduction to Pickleball 5

Subtotal 311

Members Suspended - Membership fees not paid in full 0

Total 311

Active Guest Memberships 0

Moved to accept the Treasurer's report Harvey seconded John

Motion Passed

-SOFTWARE MANAGERS REPORT: Lyle E, Harvey H, Gary R, Wayne O, Ruth D

ACTION: - Lyle: CourtReserve is developing a DUPR rating system. When this is operational Lyle will review with the rating committee to see if it is something the Club should implement.

Status: Reviewed at the Rating Committee and it was felt that it would not be beneficial to the Club at this time.

-COURTRESERVE:

The Email Members feature has been split into a two-step page/process to improve performance. This process is now similar to how Text Message and Push notifications are created.

Page 1: Create your Email

Page 2: Filter/Select Recipients- This page now requires you to choose the FILTER button to produce members in your search table. Previously they showed up automatically which was causing inconsistencies in load performance. I personally find this new enhancement more onerous.

Renewing memberships for 2024 will open on December 1 2023. I will send out an email to members as a reminder to renew for 2024 and the steps involved, such as renewing Pickleball Canada membership. Memberships renewed before December 31, 2023 are \$12.50 and memberships renewed on January 1, 2024 are \$25.00.

-PCO MEMBERSHIPS:

· As of October 1, PCO memberships are good until December 31, 2024.

5). SUBCOMMITTEE REPORTS:

A. Court Director: Gary R

12 coordinator kits have been delivered to 14 coordinators at last report;

Coordinators & Relief Coordinators continue to offer outstanding, reliable and diligent service to the membership;

New sessions have been added; format decided by the Play Session Committee; Saturday evenings, both

gyms, Nov. 25 - Dec. 16 TBD; CR being set up as we approach the session dates;

Winter Space Availability Report received from OW; lots available Sat. & Sun; not so much the rest of the

week;

ACTION: requested position on evening gym time w/l from SD68

Status:

ACTION: Gary to contact City to book 10th Annual NPC Indoor Tournament for next year – July 13, 8:00 am to 7:00 pm and July 14, 8:00 am to 6:00 pm; Once booked to let Caron know so she can let PBBC put dates into their calendar This has been passed on to the City Liaison Committee who has submitted the request to the City.

Status:

ACTION: Caron can now contact PBBC and put dates into their calendar even though they have not been confirmed. If the dates change, we can then notify PBBC.

Status:

ACTION: Gary to look into the availability of other schools....

Gary may also want to check about nets to see if we can use the school nets.

Status: Request has been sent to the SD, waiting for response.

Action: Gary to poll the coordinators and subs who would be interested in CPR/AED training if it was offered by the Club.

Status: John indicated that 16 members were on the list to take the training. Deb indicated that we will defer

until spring and try to piggy back the training with Parksville.

B. City Liaison: Wayne O., Lyle E., Dave E., Caron U

Dave E and Wayne O had a good meeting with Charlotte Davis (of the City of Nanaimo) on Friday October 27th at 10:30.

Notes from the meeting were distributed to executive members.

C. Club Ratings: Lyle E., Deb M., Gary R.

The Ratings Committee continues to receive requests for changes of ratings. Next Meeting will be scheduled towards the end of November or early December.

D. Youth Program: Harvey H., Deb M.

Donate your paddle

I would like to again ask for paddle donations to the Junior Program. We have enough donated paddles at this time to give/borrow to a school. I would like to aim for a school set each year. I will put out an email to all members regarding this endeavour if the executive is in agreement.

I would like to ask Gary if it is okay to have the Co-ordinators collect them and I will pick them up from them.

Action: Harvey to put an email out to all club members asking if they have any experienced paddles to donate to a school pickleball program.

Status:

SD 68 Professional Development Feb 5

NPC was asked to put forward an application to TEACH to Teachers the game of Pickleball. I submitted the application and asked for a \$100 honorarium for the cost of prizes for the participants.

Junior Instruction

It has been a very slow year for classroom instruction. We put an instruction offer out to all upper elementary PE classes but has been less than exciting. We will persevere.

E. Play Session Director: John E., Gary R., Caron U., Deb M

ACTION: John - Committee met and came up with a number of sessions to offer club members at various time with various emphasis.

Status: Complete

F. New Member Liaison: John E, Ruth D

A number of new players were contacted by the committee. No report from Ruth at this time

G. Training Director: Caron U., John E.

Orientation sessions have been deferred to outside coaches due to space availability for NPC to conduct lessons.

H. Facebook: Wayne

ACTION: Deb to send photos to Wayne for placement on Facebook

Status: Wayne posted 4 pics to our Facebook page so far. I think this is outdated info.

6) OLD BUSINESS

a. Website Update - the website needs to be updated - we need two volunteers to go through website and make suggestions to update.

Status – Substantially complete – not expecting any additional changes Site needs to be updated with the new Society Bylaws. This will be completed before the next meeting.

Status:

b. Coordinators Kits

Action: - Gary to email blank copies of medical reports to coordinators with information to complete forms in the case of an incident. If there is an incident the reports can be sent to Deb (right away). With insurance/medical concern there is a very brief amount of time to get the paperwork into the right hands.

Status: Kits completed - just waiting to order coordinators kit bags from apparel order.

c. Apparel

The club is now ready to release a new line of Apparel with a wonderful new/fresh club logo with the hard work of Monte and Harvey. The Apparel line has 4 shirt styles with some cotton or wicking material making up the mixture. Also offered will be an embroidered hoodie and an embroidered reusable bag. The process to roll out the line will start with showings of sample apparel before or after pickleball sessions, an online Catalogue and an order form for selection and payment online. The club must receive a minimum of 24 shirt orders to start the process of ordering.

d. Coordinate Exec Members Name Tags

Action: Name tags will be offered to all members once the new logo has been chosen by membership.
Status: Deb will be looking for something different to offer the members - report next meeting

e. CPR/AED Training

Status: Deb will pursue a connection with Parksville next year to see if we can join them in their training if we have not found a trainer for NPC.

Action: Gary to poll the coordinators and subs who would be interested in CPR/AED training if it was offered by the Club

Status: Completed – John has a list of 16 members

f. Pacific Assistance Dogs Society (PADS)

Action – Gary has put in a booking request for this event. Both Gyms

Status: Wayne has provided dates to Charlotte and she will assist. Waiting for a response.

g. PBBC meeting overview -

h. Website for selling used pickleball equipment - Lyle is waiting to hear back from a member about working on the clubs website.

Status: I heard back from the member and expect that this will be started shortly

i. New Society

At the Special Meeting on October 26, the members passed the resolutions for all current Club members become members of the new Society and that the Club funds be transferred to the Society for use in on-going pickleball operations.

Next steps – I will arrange a meeting at the bank to open a gaming account and order gaming checks. This is required if we wish to apply for any capital grants. I need one other banking signatory to join me for this meeting.

a. Items from the Minutes of the Special Meeting

Whether or not there is a requirement for a societies financial record to be kept under an accrual basis or whether continuing on a cash basis would suffice. Response: I reviewed the various sections of the Act and the Regulations and could not find any mention of the records having to be kept under an accrual basis. I would appreciate it if other Executive members could also review for confirmation.

If no requirement can be found, I would suggest we continue on a cash basis for simplicity as this would make it easier for future treasurers to manage the function if they don't have a financial background.

b. Whether funds raised from different sources such as bingo sessions as well as casino nights would all be considered gaming sources. Response: I reviewed the requirements for holding gaming events, see copy of attached document and from my understanding these are gaming sources, and we would have to apply for a gaming license to hold such events. When I read the conditions to obtain a license, I think we would qualify if the event was to benefit the general pickleball population and not just the Society members.

7) NEW BUSINESS ITEMS:

a. Passwords: Lyle discussed a concern regarding being the only gatekeeper of all the passwords for all software programs, accounts, Society information. Lyle suggested another member of the Executives should have access to the password file as a backup. Harvey agreed to take on this role. Action: Lyle will send a password protected file to Harvey as a backup in case the Executive needs access to Sites and Lyle isn't available.

Status:

b. Vacation: executive members are asked when planning a vacation please arrange for another executive member to fill in for them in their absence. Also inform the president of your absence.

8) ADJOURNMENT: As there was no further business the meeting adjourned at 7:59 PM. The next meeting will be Wednesday, December 13th at 7:00 PM via Zoom.